Pages

Friday, April 5, 2013

Week 14: Bandwagons, Butterflies, and dusting off my Brain

A bandwagon came rolling through Week 14, and folks, I JUMPED right on! Why have I not tried compression socks for post-run muscle recovery until now? They are amazing - Worth every penny! If someone had explained to me that wearing compression socks after a long run or a hill/speed workout would cut muscle soreness in half and feel like I had received a leg massage, I would have jumped on that wagon years ago! In fact, I am so obsessed that I got a pair of compression shorts also. They feel a little weird (like putting on a catwoman suit, not that I know from experience what that is like), but they do wonders for my hips and back. Seriously, this compression thing is fantastic. I am generally late to jump on bandwagons, but better late than never! 

Other great new things we tried during Week 14:
  • Omaha Zoo Butterfly and Insect Pavilion (and some of the rest of the zoo, too). We had some lovely and generous invites to peoples' homes for Easter Sunday this year, but I was really feeling like getting as far away from tradition as possible and creating some new memories with Henry, since Ted couldn't be here. The entire day was such a blessing! Hands-down one of my favorite memories with Henry, so far! He loved the butterfly house and did so well with everything. This is probably one of the best zoos I have ever been to. I can't wait to go back! 
  • Peach poppyseed vinaigrette. Delicious - We had over spinach greens with walnuts.

  • First (for real, timed) practice Praxis 2 exam (middle grade science, for those of you who are new). My first big reminder regarding test taking: ALWAYS go with your first instinct answer! Ahhh! It is worse when in scoring your work you can say, "I KNEW that!!" Then all you want to do is kick yourself! Or, in my case, make some flashcards, drink hot chocolate, re-stain a teak picnic table, play trains with son, review important historical science figures and voltage equations, take son on wagon ride, then be too tired to kick yourself :)
  • The Living Room Exhibit at Powell Botanical Garden in Kingsville, MO. This was such a creative and artful display! We were lucky enough to have some friends who wanted to come along with us to this. The boys seemed to really enjoy themselves, and I can't wait to get back for the wildflowers! Henry is such a fun little explorer; he seems to really enjoy just observing and touching every plant and animal we come across. What a fun little person! 

1 comment:

  1. That living room haunts me in the best way. I'm dreaming of a greenhouse with a room like that someday :) That was such a fun day, so glad we made it happen.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! What will you try this week?