Pages

Friday, May 17, 2013

Week 20: I Wish to Live Deliberately

What's new?
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion." 
- Henry David Thoreau

I'll admit, in Week 20, we did not try many new things! However, I was one busy momma, and I started off the week by taking a 4-hour reading and writing test for the State of Virginia Department of Education. Blech! I have not taken a test like that since the SAT/ACTs in high school, and my DayQuil-infused brain was in sprint mode, trying to take this test. Thankfully, I passed with flying colors. Though I am a nervous test-taker, I can squeak out essays and edit technical excerpts pretty well, when it matters. As much as I poo-pooed this test, my Husband was really sweet and supportive about it, pointing out that it was necessary to celebrate small wins. I know he tells that to his crew probably daily. You'd think that would work on his Wife :) The take-home lesson for me from this test is that I need to focus on relaxation and on getting better sleep for "the big test" in July. It is hard for me to relax and stay on task, concurrently. I am usually more productive if under a wee bit of stress. Thus, I am usually always a wee bit stressed :) haha

I think it is nice knowing that God gave me the tools to be able to move forward with my goals and not be stunted by failure or even just fear of failure. I feel blessed that my parents raised me to "live deliberately" and expect to have to work hard for things in life. There are a lot of people out there who just expect everything to be handed to them or to live without failure, and they never MOVE forward. If writing fiction has taught me anything, it is not to be afraid of failure or of what people think of you. And the great scientific minds whose creativity and curiosity drove them to fail and discover the basic truths which I am hopefully going to be teaching to our young people? Their failures are just as big of an inspiration to me than their successes. 

Week 20 newness:
  • Ted and I "celebrated" our 4th wedding anniversary. He celebrated by being Underway with 85 sailors, and I celebrated by studying for my Praxis exam while Henry napped and having sushi with a friend. We plan on for-real celebrating when he comes home for a week at the end of this month! 
  • The only real new thing I tried this week was Bean Blossom Blueberry Hard Cider, and that is because Meghan gave it to me, not because I took the initiative to actually try something new on my own. I was not a huge fan of this, but I think I was expecting something more like a Hornsbys. It was more like a sparkling wine infused with blueberry flavor. After a few sips, I poured it over ice, which helped a lot. Well, then I read the can label, and it says right on the can "apple wine". So, maybe I just don't know what real cider tastes like? :) In any case, it's my "something new".

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on passing your test. I am a nervous test taker. I took the GRE the weekend J left for Iraq (huge mistake). It wasn't pretty. Happy Anniversary to you and Ted. I'm glad you'll have a little time to celebrate when he gets home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it is a military thing, but S always says, Small victories :) Love that!

    Bean blossom - don't you love how i don't even call it the right thing?

    You awesome test taker, you. :) Proud of you!

    And...how much do I love that Thoreau quote?

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! What will you try this week?