![]() |
| What's new? |
"Good soup is one of the prime ingredients of good living. For soup can do more to lift the spirits and stimulate the appetite than any other one dish."
-Louis P. De Gouy, "The Soup Book" (1949)
Thank you, to my friend Emily, for the wonderful butternut squash recipes AND for harping on me about getting a slow-cooker, in Week 42! I have used it twice already, and I just adore this kitchen gadget. I ended up getting the large one with the ceramic insert, which is cool because I can make big batches of freeze-ahead meals or a pot roast, if I choose. It's all dangerous and a huge timesaver. This one also came with a dip warmer insert, which Ted will love for his queso habit. Since I am deliberately meat-free 3 nights a week now ("deliberate" implies that I am talking about legitimate, nutritious vegetarian food, not chips and salsa because I was lazy), the first slow-cooker recipe I tried was the coconut-butternut crockpot soup recipe from Superhealthykids.com. I basically used this recipe as more of an inspirational springboard because I ended up using an acorn squash rather than a sweet potato, adding 2 cups of baby portabella mushrooms, an apple, garlic, 2 TBS more of cumin, cinnamon, lots of black pepper, and I omitted coconut flakes (though I did use lite coconut milk). The end product was extremely rich and earthy, with more of a cream-of-mushroom meets butternut squash and cumin flavor to it than anything. 5/5 stars from this mushroom fan, and if you've always wanted to be a mushroom lover but don't like the texture, I recommend them this way (crockpot + puree = soup). This made about 12 servings.
Other Week 42 Newness:
- New beer! I haven't tried a new beer in so long! The sadness! And, to make matters even worse, my favorite kind of beer is a good porter, which I have not had in about 1.5 years. It's one of those things...I guess you could say "trigger food" although beer isn't really a food...But it's one of those things that used to be a larger part of my life when I was chubby, much like a lot of homemade yeast breads and pasta and rich cheeses :) mmmm....rich cheeses.....Cutthroat Porter from Odell Brewing Co out of Ft Collins (CO) was good! I thought it had a very strong coffee aftertaste, which I like, but it wasn't as sweet as some of the more chocolaty porters, if you happen to have a preference. I would have it again, though it is nowhere close to replacing my 1st favorite (Mac and Jacks Porter, Redmond, WA) or 2nd favorite (Black Butte Porter, Bend, OR). I forget how expensive some things like this are here in KS (craft brews). Pacific Northwesterners are spoiled. That's all there is to it.
- Wonderscope Children's Museum. I liked it okay, but it wasn't as neat as some of the other museums and discovery/learning centers we have been to in Kansas and Missouri. Henry had a GREAT time, but I think my bottom-line rating for this place is, I am glad we checked this off of our list, but we won't go back unless we are in the area of Shawnee, KS :) I am sure that if we lived there, we would love it. However, if I am going to drive that far, I would just as soon drive to the Kansas Children's Discovery Center out in Lawrence, KS or the Patee House Museum up in St Joseph, MO or the Overland Park Botanical Gardens or Ernie Miller Nature Center...We have been so spoiled with amazing learning opportunities in our midst, and I love exploring them all with Henry! 3/5 stars for Wonderscope :)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Welcome! What will you try this week?