![]() |
| What's new? |
My sweet, crowd-shy boy had his first Christmas program in Week 50. I knew that when they all walked in to the gym and he saw the 12 or so parents all sitting there, staring back at him, that he would probably freeze up or cry, despite the fact that I had heard almost the entire program, word-for-word, at home. He froze, then, upon seeing my face in the crowd, ran over to sit directly behind me, performing the entire program from that chair. One little boy stayed up in front of everyone, but rolled around on the ground the entire time, before he took off running. Yet another boy, kept running back and forth between his mom and every kid in the program, then back to his spot again. All of the girls stayed up there and performed. I am sorry because I normally don't notice gender differences like that, but it was too funny not to notice. It was ADORABLE. The whole thing was 15 minutes long, and just precious. My Henry Bee...I could not have been prouder of him :)
It is not often that I live vicariously through my son, but I have to admit something totally silly and material: Since I was a little girl, I ALWAYS wanted one of those fancy stockings from Land's End with the name stitched up on the top and the pretty, stitched picture below and the velvet on the back. My Great-Grandma hand-knitted all of our stockings, which were so huge and amazing, and she stitched our names into the tops and everything, but as a stupid kid, what did I know about the value of handmade versus machine-made. Yet, I could not resist. I went to order some flannel sheets from the bargain sale Land's End site, and what should pop up, but that beautiful stocking with the choo-choo train on it! My childhood self stared up at me with puppy-dog eyes, and it was all over. Henry will grow up wondering why it is that he is the only one in the family who's mom crochets yet he ended up with a machine made stocking.
Other Newness for Week 50:
- Birds of Bethlehem, by Tomie dePoata - New Children's Fiction. Beautiful, and simple, age-appropriate version of the Nativity. The artwork is stunning, and I would like to add more of his work to our library in hardcover versions. This particular version tells the story of the Baby Jesus through the eyes of the birds in the nearby field.
- We found a house to rent in VA! Yay. We rented it for the yard and the neighborhood, but the inside looks cozy and is well-insulated.
- I made gift truffles for the first time, and they turned out yummy! Here is the recipe I used, although I opted for a cocoa powder dusting rather than the toasted almonds.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Welcome! What will you try this week?